Tempeh is made of soybeans and tasteless by itself. My first experience with tempeh at a restaurant was terrible. So I went home and experimented with a few recipes I found online and this sweet and sour spicy sauce really can bring everyone’s appetite. :)
- 1 pack of tempeh, cut into 1 inch cube
- 1/2 lb of okra, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
Tempeh sauce ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon of mirin
- 3 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, minced
Peanut sauce ingredients:
- 2/3 cup of unsalted peanut butter
- 2.5 tablespoon of maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlics
- 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or chili flakes
- 1/2 cup of water
- Prepare the tempeh sauce by mixing everything together.
- In a saucepan, combine tempeh with tempeh sauce. Bring it to boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook until the pan is dry.
- In a separate skillet, pan fry shallots, garlics and gingers, stir in peppers, onions and okra. Add a pinch of salt.
- In a blender, combine all peanut sauce ingredients. You may add more water until it becomes a creamy mixture.
- Place vegetables on a plate, cover with tempeh. Pour the peanut sauce over.