How about a great summer salad recipe? With the season’s freshest veggies and tangy orange vinaigrette, this is one refreshing side dish or meal on a hot day.
- 2 oranges, zested
- 2 small oranges, juiced or 1 large orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 to 12 ounces shredded lettuce
- 1/2 avocado, thinly slice into thin wedges
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced and quartered
In a blender, combine the orange juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. With the blender running, add the olive oil in a steady stream until combined.
To serve, place lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette to coat the salad. Sprinkle walnuts and orange zest on top.
Source: The orange vinaigrette is a recipe adapted from Food Network.