While I was thinking of a way to use a leftover potato I have in the fridge, I came up with this idea to make them into crispy, bite-sized balls. The idea originates from from some of the other potatoes dishes that I’ve made in the past, like seaweed potato pancakes. This is probably a good way to use leftover mashed potato as well. I love how they are crispy without frying, and how they look cute like roasted marshmallows.
In this recipe, I used corn and cilantro as the filling, but you can easily use any number of ingredients. I am certain that things like cheese, onions, ham, bacon bits would go great with this and I will for sure try them out when I make these next time!
- 1 potato
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons corn
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
Directions: (makes 24 potato bites)
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil; cook for 20 to 25 minute or until very tender.
- Mash the potatoes and mix with corn, cilantro, corn starch and salt.
- Shape mixture into balls. Dip each one in bread crumbs then transfer to a lightly greased baking pan or cooking sheet and bake until golden brown. (about 15 minutes). If they don’t turn brown after 15 minutes. Broil for 1-2 minutes.