As Hurricane Irene approached yesterday, there were long lines at the supermarket as people stocked up food and supplies. We got home late after food shopping and needed to whip something up quick for dinner. This was the result, and it was one of the most delicious chicken that we made so far! Garam masala is a spice mix that originates from India. Our mix was brought from a store, but you can also make your own. Be warned, garam masala is very spicy and has a distinct smell, so you may want to adjust the amount used based on your own taste. This dish can be made within 30 minutes if needed, but is close to restaurant quality. Give it a try sometime!
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice mix
- 1 piece ginger, minced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- Salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb of chicken (1 leg, 2 thighs)
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients except chicken.
- Apply paste to chicken evenly. Marinate for a minimum of about 15 minutes
- Brush off the marinate from chicken, including the ginger and garlic (this is to prevent these from burning)
- Pan fry chicken pieces in a heavy skillet. Over medium high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, and then under low heat and covered until cooked through. Total cooking time about 20 minutes.
- Serve while it’s hot!