This is a recipe from a Chinese New Year cooking contest website. It is a new way to cook the traditional Chinese Braised Pork Ribs using Korean pepper paste. The spicy sauce brings both taste and an appetizing color to the dish.
- 1 lb of spare ribs
- 1/2 lb of choy sum
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 slices of ginger
- 3 tablespoons of Korean Spicy Pepper Paste
- 2 tablespoons of Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1/2 can of chicken stock
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add spare ribs and drain the water out immediately. Set aside.
- In a saucepan with oil, stir in ginger and garlic, add spare ribs. Pan fry for 5 mins.
- Add pepper paste, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, white vinegar and chicken stock. Cover and bring it to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 min or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and add choy sum. Cover for a few minutes.
- Place choy sum on the plate and add spare rib on top.
- Sprinkle sesame for garnish.
Note: Cooking the spare rib in hot boiling water will remove the frozen taste and some fats from the spare ribs.