In NY, there are a few Japanese Italian restaurant that serve Spicy Mentaiko Pasta, but I love to make this at home so I can add extra mentaiko with an extra large onsen egg. My favorite pasta of all time and it’s so easy to make!!
Spicy Mentaiko Spaghetti
- 1/2 box of spaghetti
- 2 sacks of spicy cod roe
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 sheet of Nori (dried seaweed), cut into thin strips
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente. Drain well.
- Cook and stir onion in saucepan until cooked through
- Using a spoon, scrap out the roe.
- Heat butter in microwave until melted and let it cool down.
- In a bowl, mix butter with spicy roe and onions.
- Add the spagetti to the bowl and mix with roe.
- Sprinkle nori and add onsen egg on top!
For the Onsen Tamago/Hotspring Egg:
The standard recipe would be to boil the egg at 158 to 167 degree F for 30 to 45 minute with dashi and other ingredients. But here is a simpler way to do this in 9 minutes.
- Place extra large egg with cold tap water in pot, with enough water covering the entire egg if you’re using a smaller pot, or covering half the egg if using a larger pot.
- High heat for 9 minutes
Note: This requires experimentation due to the variables – strength of the stove, pot size, egg size, temperature of tap water. Basically you want to keep everything constant except the cooking time until you get it right. Have fun!!