Steamed Sea Bass
The best way to cook fish in order to taste its freshness is by steaming it. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and it’s a very light and healthy meal.
- 1 -12 oz whole sea bass, cleaned, scaled, and gills removed
- 2 stalks chopped scallions, including green
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- Pat dry the fish and place it on a plate and set the plate on top of a wide-mouth wok or large skillet as the base with a metal stand to balance. (The stand can be found at Chinese supermarket). Make sure the water is about 1 inch beneath the plate. Cover and steam over boiling water for 7 minutes. You may need to adjust the time accordingly by the size of the fish.
- Check fish for doneness. When cooked, the flesh will be white and pull easily from the bones.
- Remove fish from steamer and pour off the liquid accumulated on the plate.
- Heat oil in the saucepan, pan fried scallions and ginger for 1 minute, then pour it over the fish. *You can also place the scallions and gingers on the fish and pour the boiled oil on top.
- Pour soy sauce and sesame oil on the fish.