Zha Jiang Mian is a popular dish from northern China that uses white noodles topped with a mixture of soybean paste and grounded pork. In this version of Zha Jiang Mien, I am using vegetarian chicken to replace the pork.
- 1/2 pack vegetarian chicken, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup cucumbers, cut in strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 12 oz flat white noodles or shanghai noodles
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons Bean paste (豆瓣酱)
- 5 tablespoons Sweet bean paste (甜面酱)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon water
- Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for few minutes. Add vegetarian chicken and all the sauce ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Cook according to package directions, drain and place in a bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the noodles. Placed cucumbers on the side. Sprinkle green onions and sesame oil.