Water Spinach also known as ong choy, swamp cabbage, swamp spinach and kangkong. Belacan is Malaysian shrimp paste that comes in a block. Combine the two, and you’ve got a classic Malaysian dish that highlights the characteristics of Malaysian food – strong flavors and vibrant colors.
- 1/2 lb water spinach (ong choi)
- 1.5 tablespoon belacan 馬拉盞 (Shrimp Paste)
- 3 garlic, minced
- 2 bird eye chili, chopped
- Wash and trim the water spinach, remove the base stalks (about 1 inch). Cut into 2-3″ sections.
- Blanch water spinach in large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Add garlic, chili, and belacan, stir until fragrant.
- Add the blanched water spinach, mix well with the garlic, chili and belacan. Cook for 1 minute or until soft.