Law Bak Go – The Chinese Radish Cake may be one of the most popular dish that you can get in dim sum places. For breakfast and snacks, turnip cake is usually sliced into square pieces and pan-fried to golden color on both sides. As a meal, they can be sliced into smaller cubes and stir fried with egg and scallions. My favorite is to eat it when it’s freshly coming out from the steamer. It is the softest at that time and melts in your mouth. Serve with oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and/or chili sauce, or even just plain to taste the sweet turnips.
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 lb rice flour 粘米粉
- 4 tablespoons corn starch 生粉
- 2.5 Chinese sausages 臘腸
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp 蝦米
- 1/2 lb pork belly, diced
- 6.5 lb radish
- 5 cups of waters
- 8 dried scallops 瑤柱
- dash of salt
- Shred radish using a grater
- Rinse dried scallops and dried shrimp under tap water, then soak in a cup of water separately for 30 minutes or until soft. Reserve the soaking water. Separate the dried scallop and chop the dried shrimp finely.
- Marinate the minced pork belly with soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar.
- Chop the sausage finely
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Pan fry pork belly, Chinese sausage and dried shrimp.
- In a large pot, add shredded radish and 3 slices of ginger with 3 cups of water, 1 cup of dried scallop water and 1 cup of dried shrimp water.
- Bring the pot of radish to boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Let the radish cool down for about 25 minutes. Then slowly stir in the rice flour, corn starch and 2/3 of the ingredients (sausage, pork belly, scallop, and shrimps)
- Pour the mixture into foil cake pan. Sprinkle the reminding 1/3 ingredients on top of the cake. Steam for 1 to 2 hours depending on the size of the pan. For a 9″ Round Cake Pan, it takes about 2 hour.
- If you like to eat it pan fried, cover and refrigerate at least 3 to 4 hours. Then cut them into square slices. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Cook radish cake on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and/or chili sauce.