Kick off your Fourth of July party with this simple and luxurious appetizer! This crowd-pleasing American favorite uses just enough seasoning so that it won’t overpower the sweet taste of fresh crab meat. Use a light dusting of flour to bind the crab cakes together and to form a crisp and golden crust on the outside. Crab cakes are sometimes served with a sauce, but in this case, the crab cakes are so flavorful by themselves that I think a sauce would be unnecessary and probably overpowering.
Ingredients: (makes 16 mini crab cakes)
- 1 lb of fresh crab meat
- 1 cup red onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Veganaise or Mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper and salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except flour.
- Form the mixture into patties and lightly dust with flour.
- Lightly coat skillet with oil, heat over medium to high heat. Cook patties, 3-4 minutes each side until browned.