Using the same mixture from Crispy Potato Bites as the base and with inspiration after reading Zucchini mozzarella baked egg, I created this breakfast dish. It has a filling of mashed potato and is topped with a baked egg. Bread crumbs provide a slight crunch and the cilantro some color and extra flavor. It may seem that a baking casserole is too much work for the morning rush, but using pre-cooked ingredients or making it the night before (except the baking part), you’ll only need 12 minutes in the oven for this quick and nutritious breakfast.
Ingredients: (makes 2 casseroles)
- 1 potato
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons corn
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 cup of mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Panko breadcrumbs
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil; cook for 20 to 25 minute or until very tender.
- Mash the potatoes and mix with corn, cilantro, corn starch, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into two oven-safe 16 oz round dishes. Add 1/2 cup of mozzarella into each dish. Carefully crack an egg into each one, making sure to keep the yolk intact. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of panko and 1/2 teaspoon cilantro on top. Bake for about 15 minutes at 450 degree or until the whites are just set.
Other Baked Egg Recipe: