Question: what is usually the actual ingredient for fake abalone?
It is no coincidence that conch is often used for this purpose, as it has a somewhat similar texture and flavor, at a small fraction of the price.
Conch is an interesting ingredient to work with and can be eaten raw or cooked in many different ways, including fried, included in a salad, made into a soup, or even . In Chinese cuisine, it is often stir fried.
- 2 fresh conchs, cleaned and sliced
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 slices ginger
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- White pepper, to your taste
- In a pot of hot boiling water, add yamaimo and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a skillet/pan, heat oil over high heat. Add ginger and stir fry until fragrant. Add pepper, stirring and cook for 2 minutes. Add Yamaimo then
- Add the sliced conch and cooking wine, stirring for 1 minute then add sesame oil and dash of white pepper. Mix well to serve.