A hearty soup that is also nutritious with plenty of vitamins and fiber. Chicken stock was used in the recipe below, but the soup can be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, diced (5-6 cups)
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, diced (1.5 to 2 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- Pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, basil, salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and carrot for 5 minutes.
- Add squash, apple and the broth to the pan. Bring to boil. Cover, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until squash and carrots are soften.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan. Add curry powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, basil, salt and pepper.
*Add water to the soup for the consistency you like.