Another quick and easy dinner on weeknight – soft egg yolk and egg white mixed with juicy chicken thighs in sweet soy sauce and flavored dashi!!
Ingredients: (1 person)
- 1 cup steamed rice
- 1/2 lb chicken thighs, cut into bite-size piece
- 1 shallot
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cups dashi soup stock*
- 2 Tbsp japanese soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Scallion for garnish
- Marinated chicken thighs with 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp sugar. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, stir in shallots and chicken thighs and cook for a few minutes.
- Add onion and cook for a few minutes.
- Add dashi, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp mirin.
- Bring to a boil and cook for a couple more minute or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Crack an egg on top, cook for 1 min then turn off the stove.
- Put steam rice in a bowl, and place chicken and egg with sauce on top.
Note: Dashi Soup Stock is available at most Asian supermarket. They comes in carton, or in powder. You can also make your own using kelp and bonito flakes.
*Dashi Soup Stock Directions:
Soak 3 inch of kelp in a saucepan with 3 cups of cold water for 30 min. Set the saucepan over medium heat. Just before the water comes to a boil (you will see bubbles and it takes about 10 min), remove kelp. Bring to a boil and add 1/2 cup of bonito flakes. Simmers for a few min. Pour the soup through fine strainer, discard bonito shavings.
Note: You will only need about half of the soup here for the 1 person portion Oyakodon above.